Friday, August 10, 2007

Support, what does that really mean?

I have found that my reluctance to talk to people has continued. I have talked to my daughters, a couple of my sisters, one close friend and my massage therapist/naturopath and my personal trainer. I have informed most of my friends and the members of my book club, but have done that by email. A few people have tried to contact me by phone, but I have not picked up. My mum and dad have not called me, they know and understand me well, I appreciate the distance they have allowed me. The replies received by email and the text messages from friends have been a great source of comfort, even amusement.
I have always lived somewhat inside my own head, and now I think that is possibly a good thing. I can deal with this if people give me space and don't get emotional around me. I hate when people look at me with sadness in their eyes. It is not helpful, they look like they think I am going to die, and I am not going to.
I haven't even given this link to anyone yet, maybe I won't. I am not even sure why I am writing this. Maybe no one will ever read it. But just in case here is the very useful check list my dear friend Margo sent me for preparations.

Well I've given it some thought and think you should consider preparing for your homecoming as well.

So for when you get home consider:
having ******* come around every other day for an hour for the first few weeks to:
stack, run and empty the dishwasher- you will be too sore I think.
do your washing, folding and ironing
make your bed
do any shopping

Also you could prepare home now by:
Making sure your jug is handy to the sink so you can drag rather than lift- or use microwave
have on bench crockery and glassware you use so you don't need to stretch
Organise things so you don't need to go up and down stairs
make some frozen meals and soups for yourself - not too high fibre or stimulating to the bowel.


Give yourself a pedicure before as reaching toes later will hurt for a while .
It may sound odd but I would rather like the idea of setting up my bed to welcome me home - towels ready etc. Face mask and hot pack at the ready
Think about everything you regularly do and modify where things are to avoid stretching, bending, lifting, carrying including sitting too low.

For hospital
PJs - consider drips and ease of getting on with one and half hand.
Mattresses are plastic covered and so produce static so have natural fibres including underwear.
Slippers that slip on and off
Dressing gown or something so you feel happy walking to a hospital coffee shop or public area
A wrap for your shoulders in your favourite colour to keep your shoulders and heart warmed
Most hospitals have a library with Internet access if you can't access it from your room.
Mobiles are often banned as they interfere with some monitoring devices
Shower gel that is moisturising but won't make you slip in shower- soap slips to floor
To feel good- Mist to keep face moist, lip moisturiser, light hydrating moisturiser to apply regularly - air conditioning is so dehydrating.Hand cream.
Re hair- the hospital may have a hairdresser who would come to you and do your hair if you cannot do it
Herbal tea bags (you can ask for boiling water when they do tea rounds)
MP3 player.
Hope this helps and will be thinking of you.

This is support of the best kind.


No comments: