Sunday, July 20, 2008

2 Months On

When people ask me how I am, I answer, Fine , still tired a lot of the time. Thats the boring truth of my situation. It is not the overwhelming, disabling fatigue that I experienced while I was on the chemo, it is simply feeling tired and needing to rest most afternoons. I know, I know, lots of people have a siesta in the afternoon and many more would like to but can't. But I don't want to rest, I want to go full speed ahead.
A few weeks ago I asked my doctor how long before this tiredness disappears and she said, up to 3 years. Damn!! It is a depressing thought for me. I know, I know, I am lucky to be alive and healthy and 14 months after the original diagnosis I have no sign of any cancers. I think my grumpiness about the need to rest is that I am worried that this will be the pattern of my life from now on. Yours in grumpiness.

I published this post and then read Doug's blog, Doug was the husband of Jane Eastman who died on June 3rd this year after a very long struggle with bowel cancer. http://dougtaro.blogspot.com/2008_06_01_archive.html
After I read a few of his posts I felt that what I had written above was petulent. This is the rollercoaster that I am. I am now sitting with my 4 year old grandson on my knee while I type one-handed. I have arranged to meet 2 of my sisters for a walk near the beach and to have coffee after.

Grandkids, a great reason to be happy.
Construction site Luca, Pippa In sink , Little Ezri

4 comments:

Doug said...

Hey Roanna,

No, you are not being petulant. Life is relative to one's situation. The fact that you are experiencing discomfort, fatigue, maybe even some fear is normal and it is what you are going through. Don't ever minimize your feelings because someone else's life might seem more difficult.

I am glad to hear you are doing well, and that life is moving forward for you. Keep up the (sometimes difficult) work.

Stay in touch.

Doug Easton

Doug said...

Roanna,

You've been tagged. Check out Doug's Blog for the details.

doug

Doug said...

Hello Roanna,

I have not seen any postings from you for quite some time. I pray all is well with you these days?

doug

Roanna said...

Hi Doug, thanks for thinking of me. Wow a lot of time has past since my last post. I am doing fine, all my tests have come back negative and I feel cautiously confident that the cancer will not return. It is 2 years this month since my diognosis. I will do a post this week, thanks for the reminder. Roanna