Thursday, October 25, 2007

I Was Being Wildly Optimistic

Feeling that something had gone right, that this treatment is within my ability to cope, gave me a much needed boost, but as has been the case throughout this process I hit a brick wall with a resounding crash. After the pump, was removed, later that day, I started to feel ill and the pain around the port increased to the point that none of the analgesia I had was relieving it. I returned to the clinic and saw the oncologist. She informed me that I had developed an infection in the tissues surrounding the port, I would have to be hospitalised for 5 days for IV antibiotics. Waves of disappointment engulfed me. She told me to go home and wait until a bed became available later that day but if I felt worse to go the the hospital ER.
I did feel worse later and I went to the ER, that was a big mistake I should have just waited at home, better to feel sick at home than to sit for 6 hours in a hospital ER. My doctor had phoned ahead but no beds and then they wouldn't let me leave so I was trapped in the appalling NSW public hopsital system.
Eventually I was found a bed on a surgical ward, a private room thankfully, and IV antibiotics started. Each 500ml bag of antibiotic infusion was followed by 500ml of saline to flush the line. The antibiotics made the veins ache, they had to change the cannula site 3 times due to the inflammation in the veins. The nursing staff and resident doctors were caring and professional, as is usually the case the underpaid health workers doing their best to hold the system together in the face of mismanagement by governments and hospital administrators.
My stay ,while somewhat sleepless, depressing and frustrating was uneventful but I could not bear to stay there for 5 days. On the 3rd day I pleaded with my doctor to allow me to go home on oral antibiotics. She relented and sent me home on a very high dose, I would put up with the stomach upset to sleep in my own bed and eat real food.
The experience gave me the opportunity to look around and really see the plight of people trapped in that system without resources, family or financial. It actually surprises me that the MOST disturbing factor in the experience was the truly dreadful food. I was fortunate enough to have family bring me healthy appetising food but the meals served to patients in public hospitals is absolutely shameful and has given me cause to fight.

No comments: